Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Let's Talk Boy Bands....Oh yea...

So upon returning home today, I turned on Pandora. What did I hear? An old Backstreet Boys song; Everybody. I loved this song. I had my wall COVERED when I was younger with photos of them. I used to make collages. I mean I don't think there was one spot of white on my walls when I was a kid.

The band formed in 1993 and slowly started to gain fame. Their first international album was released in 1996. Their second international album was released in 1997. The band was made up of five guys; A.J. McLean, Howie Dorough, Nick Carter, Brian Littrell, and Kevin Richardson. Brian and Kevin were cousins actually.I used to love listening to them sing. Brian was my favorite. And honestly I'm not sure why.There was just something about him I guess.

I was never a fan of Nsync when they came out around the same time. I was SO anti-Nsync it wasn't funny. My sister was into them. BUT before they showed up on scene it was Backstreet Boys. I think it was a sibling thing; we could never have the same interests. And she always had to copy me with something whether it was toys, movies, or even music.

Honestly, both Nysnc AND Backstreet were formed in Florida. Backstreet in 1993, Nysnc in 1996. Both consisted of 5 guys who could sing and dance. I had many of the Backstreet boys albums, and I watched them on tv whenever they had an appearance. I taped ANY concert on tv; yes with an old BLANK VHS tape. Talk about old school.

I should mention also around this time was the band 98 degrees. They only had 4 guys, two of which were brothers. Seeing a theme here? 98 Degrees did not gain AS much popularity back then around the time of Nsync and Backstreet boys. BUT they quickly caught on around 1997-1998.

To point out, I liked all of these boy bands. I liked certain individuals in each band. And each did have a similar singing style. But Backstreet to ME paved the way for the other bands who followed after them. Plus it was hard NOT to turn on the radio and not hear ONE of these bands songs.

I can say however, that Nync was originally supposed to be on a "temporary hiatus", but when that went on longer than 2006, Lance Bass; A member of Nsync officially confirmed that they had broken up.

As for 98 Degrees, they too were taking a "temporary hiatus" in 2002, and originally their website had not been updated. Yet they got back together in 2004. Though from 2006-2012 they are still on another hiatus. They have since gone to do other things.

Backstreet Boys never officially broke up and still perform together. Looking up on Wiki it states that they were still in the band. Though now it seems to be called NKOTBSB. They have joined forces with New Kids On The Block. Which I personally was never into. And why?...I have no idea.

OF all of the boy bands, I think the best one to have come out off all of this would be Justin Timberlake. He's been the MOST successful with his music career, he's gone onto doing acting such as Saturday Night Live, and various other movies; In Time, Friends with Benefits, and the Social Network. He has acclaimed Six Grammy Awards, and Four Emmy Awards. His latest single; Suit and Tie is *Currently* ranked No.4 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

This was my first album when I was growing up. I still listen to it every now and again.

I THINK I still have this album somewhere...

This is the album my sister had when were younger. We basically used to have dueling boy bands.

To be honest, I don't listen to them anymore. IF I do its still their old stuff. I haven't listened to anything new by any of the new bands. I don't count listening to Justin Timberlake because he is no longer with the band. I do like his new music and he is really funny. Check him out on any of the Saturday Night Live skits. He is hilarious!


No comments:

Post a Comment